Read Write Inc. Phonics
At Alt Academy we use the Read Write Inc. (RWI) programme to get our children off to a flying start with their English. RWI is a systematic way of teaching phonics, reading, spelling and writing
Reading opens the door to learning. A child who reads a lot will become a good reader. A good reader will be able to read more challenging material. A child who reads more challenging material is a child who will learn. The more a child learns the more he or she will want to find out.
At Alt we use:
- Phase 1 phonics in Nursery
- RWI phonics from Reception to Y6 (where needed)
- RWI spelling from Y2 to Y6
When using RWI to read the children will have 2 phonics session every day and they will:
- Learn 44 sounds (phonemes) and the corresponding letters (graphemes)
- Learn that sounds can be represented by written letters or groups of letters.
- Learn how to blend sounds
- Learn how to read words using Fred Talk and sound buttons
- Learn mantras like special friends, fred talk , read the word
- Read red words (tricky words)
- Read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- Show that they understand the stories by answering questions
When using RWI to write the children will:
- Learn to write the letters or groups of letters (graphemes) which represent the 44 sounds (phonemes)
- Learn to write words by using their Fred fingers to spell
- Write simple sentences
- Use the RWI complex sound chart to help choose the correct sound.
So that you are able to support your child’s learning at home, please take some time to explore the tabs to see videos and examples of how RWI is taught.
Our Read Write Inc. Lead Teacher is Mrs Branwood. If you have any queries or would like to discuss our phonics programme further, please do not hesitate to contact her.